On Tuesday 21st April the Regional Chambers of Denman, Scone, Singleton and Muswellbrook met with NBN Fixed Wireless Community Relations Advisor, Tony Gibbs at the Muswellbrook Workers Club.
All who were present during the evening had three main concerns to be addressed:
- When was the NBN coming to our Region;
- What can we do to ensure we get the NBN quicker; and
- What can we do in the meantime to improve our internet connection?
The NBN is charged with delivering strong, reliable internet Australia Wide to the following key industry sectors:
With a strong focus on Health, Education, Business.
93% of all downloaded data is via fixed line internet connections
Despite this, we were advised by NBN that:
- The NBN was not to come to any of our townships (i.e. Aberdeen, Denman, Scone, Singleton, Muswellbrook) other than areas that already have it due to the previous Federal Government’s policy to install NBN for new housing estates within the next 18 month roll out period, we will however, have it by 2020 (the planned end date of the NBN rollout);
- It is not possible to fast track the NBN rollout without a strong business case and accurate understanding of the internet usage by region;
- We need to look for alternative solutions, but first need to identify a base line understanding of our Region’s requirements.
You can check whether your business has access to existing NBN infrastructure here.
We need your help
The Chambers’ have joined together to compile this comprehensive survey to gain an understanding of our Region’s internet requirements into the future in order to gain this baseline understanding. Some of it is technical, but we have tried to make it as simple for everybody to complete as possible.
This survey will then be used to investigate additional resources that may be available to our region through private Telecommunications strategies and providing a strong business case towards NBN Co to have our region reviewed earlier.
Please take the time to complete our Chambers’ essential Internet Survey by following this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/93DBPKP